GIRLS ON THE RUN FALL 5k
SATURDAY · DECEMBER 1 · 2018
LEARN. DREAM. LIVE. RUN.
Girls on the Run combines training for a 5k (3.1 miles) running event with healthy living education. Through interactive activities such as running, playing games, and discussing important issues, participants in the 12-week program learn how to celebrate their unique and real selves. Not only do we get girls moving, we also arm them with the tools necessary to effectively manage many of life's challenges including gossip, bullying, establishing healthy friendships, and standing up for themselves and others. The girls also plan and execute a community service project helping them to realize the individual power they have to make a difference in their community. Our program instills self-esteem through health education, life skills development, mentoring relationships, and physical training - all of which are accomplished through an active collaboration with girls and their parents, schools, volunteers, staff, and the community.
ABOUT GIRLS ON THE RUN
Girls on the Run is an Affiliate Council of Girls on the Run International, which has a network of over 200 councils across the United States and Canada. Girls on the Run (GOTR) is a non-profit organization that was founded by Molly Barker in 1996 in Charlotte, North Carolina.
MISSION: We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy, & confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum that creatively integrates running.
VISION: We envision a world where every girl knows & activates her limitless potential & is free to boldly pursue her dreams.
GIRLS ON THE RUN HONORS ITS CORE VALUES,
WE STRIVE TO:
• Recognize our power & responsibility to be intentional in our decision making
• Embrace our differences & find strength in our connectedness
• Express joy, optimism, & gratitude through our words, thoughts, & actions
• Nurture our physical, emotional, & spiritual health
• Lead with an open heart & assume positive intent
• Stand up for ourselves & others
GIRLS ON THE RUN IS OFFERED THROUGHOUT SKAGIT COUNTY
• Sessions are offered during the spring & fall for girls in grades 3-6
• Each session is 10 or 12 weeks long, two times per week and is led led by trained female volunteer coaches
• The girls train together to walk or run the non-competitive 5k event which takes place at the end of the program session
• Completing the 5k event gives the girls a chance to shine & an overwhelming sense of accomplishment!
2017 FALL GOTR SITES:
* Register early! Teams with low registration may be canceled.
** More sites are being added, check back frequently. Don't see a site you're interested in? Volunteer to become a coach at the location of your choice!