Developing Young People Through STEM
The Y is helping all children reach their full potential by supporting their unique youth development journeys. At more than 1,000 YMCA sites nationwide, kids are engaged in year-round STEM activities that nurture their curiosity, inspire creativity and teach them how to succeed.
Kids who participate in STEM activities:
- Learn how to solve problems
- Develop critical-thinking skills
- Become comfortable with failure and trying again
- Learn to work successfully in teams
- Develop self-confidence
- Are able to see themselves in STEM careers
Learn how the Y is supporting equity in STEM to help every kid advance!
Upcoming STEM Events
The Seattle Aquarium is hosting an ongoing free, virtual drop-in club for teens in grades 9-12 for those interested in and passionate about marine conservation. The club meets weekly on Tuesday evenings from 4:30-6:00pm over Zoom and hosts an in-person meeting once a month with a fun, hands-on conservation activity.
The club covers a wide range of conservation-based topics each month, including
- Empathy for local marine organisms
- Equity in marine conservation
- Careers in marine conservation
- Local marine environments such as tide pools and eelgrass habitats
- Research conducted by the Seattle Aquarium
- and more!
If interested in joining the club, please email [email protected].