The Skagit Valley Family YMCA creates positive community change through relationships by empowering the mind, body, and spirit of ALL.
WHO WE ARE
We believe a strong community can be achieved when we invest in our kids, our health, and our neighbors. Our programs, services, and initiatives enable youth to realize their potential; offer families ways to have fun together; empower people to be healthier in mind, body, and spirit; welcome and embrace newcomers; and help foster social responsibility. Beyond our gym and aquatics center, the Y also provides quality early childhood education, afterschool programs and camps, and support for teens including housing, meals, drop-in activities and outreach programs.
AREAS OF IMPACT
Nurturing the potential of every child and teen.
The Y invests in early learning, youth, teen and young adult programs knowing this foundation makes possible lifelong learning, flourishing, connecting and serving self, family and the broader community.
Improving our community’s health and well-being.
The Y provides environments and programs that promote personal growth, encourage active lifestyles, foster multi-generational social connections, and support family development across our diverse community.
Giving back and providing support to our neighbors.
The Y leverages its resources and capacity to positively impact the lives and circumstances of its members and the broader community. We seek to close opportunity gaps in our community by acting as an agent for change, ensuring equitable access to programs, and leveraging the capabilities of our volunteers, donors, and partnerships.
The YMCA was founded in London in 1844. Since then, the Y has grown into an organization serving communities all over the world.
The Skagit Valley Family YMCA, originally known as the Mount Vernon YMCA, was established in 1911 as a Railway Y, providing a safe, positive environment for men working on the railway away from their families. Here’s a peek at other important dates in our Y’s history:
- In 1941, the Y opened a new building on Fulton Street and had 600 members.
- In 1958, Herman and Grace Anderson donated 40 acres on Lake Sixteen to create Camp Anderson.
- In 1959, the YMCA Board of Directors sold bonds to build an addition to Fulton, adding a weight room, steam room, and locker rooms.
- In 1974, the Y changed names from the Mount Vernon YMCA to the Skagit Valley Family YMCA to reflect our true service area.
- In 1986, the Fulton Street pool and a parking lot were constructed.
- In 2001, the Y purchased the Bakerview Indoor Soccer Complex, now known as the Bakerview Sports Center.
- In 2001, the Y took over operations of the Oasis Teen Shelter, and assumed complete financial responsibility for the program in 2005.
- In 2018, the Y broke ground on its new Hoag Road building, which opened to the public in 2019.
As our history shows, we’ve grown and expanded with the times to serve the needs of our community. We look forward to what the future holds for our organization and for the greater Skagit community!